- 4 cups canned crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 12-14 washed basil leaves, chopped
- ½ t. minced garlic
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 cup half-and-half
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. In a large stockpot, add tomatoes, tomato juice, garlic, and stock. Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, for about 40 minutes.
2. Add basil leaves.
3. Transfer soup into a blender and puree. This might need to be done in several batches (It took me three batches).
4. Return to stockpot and add butter and half-and-half. Stir over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
5. Stir in salt and pepper, to taste.